Objective of the Department
The primary role of these units is to lead the effort to build disaster risk reduction capacity at the Local Government level; thereby facilitating the fostering of resilient communities. Generally speaking, the DMU pursues its mission of Disaster Risk Reduction through five (5) programme areas namely: Administration and Finance, Institutional Capacity Strengthening, Planning, Research and Mitigation, Emergency Response, and Public Information and Education.
Role and Responsibilities
- Provide the Municipal Corporation’s administration with expert Disaster Risk Reduction advice.
- Carry out activities in accordance with the Disaster Management policy of the Ministry of Local Government.
- Collaborate with other First Responders (TTFS, TTDF, TTPS, & NGOs) in providing local-level assistance to citizens impacted by hazards.
- Manage the operations of the Municipal E.O.C. (M.E.O.C.), when activated.
- Educate their communities on all phases of Disaster Management.